Wednesday, July 07, 2010

Day 29: Leaving South Africa

Quick post before I catch the plane back to Sydney.

Watched Holland beat Uruguay in the semi final last night, 3-2. It was a warm evening and a perfect setting for Cape Town's last match. A game with five good goals to see me off was highly entertaining. But it's never as exciting as when I have an emotional interest in the outcome, and I didn't really care who won. Many people have asked why I have spent so much time at the World Cup but I am not staying for the Final. I probably would if either Australia or England were playing, but even an exciting prospect like Holland v Germany or Spain does not raise the temperature like following your own team.

So I've had a great trip, I have insights into Africa which I knew little about previously, and seen some wonderful players and football. With one or two hitches, plans have gone well, and South Africa has done a good job. Or maybe that should be FIFA and its agencies, because even President Jacob Zuma admitted he will be back in charge of his country after the weekend following a month of taking instructions from Sepp Blatter. I've done what I came to do, and I'm missing my cuddle-bunny. Regardless of how many people you meet in a conference or at presentations, you're alone when you close the room door.

I will do a final posting after the Final to wrap up South Africa 2010.

1 Comments:

Blogger curious reader said...

Aww, it will be good to see you too!

4:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home