Sunday, June 18, 2006

Day 11: Australia v Brazil morning

It's the game everyone has been looking forward to with most anticipation and trepidation. If Australia can take something out of it, not only may we advance to the next round, but Australian football will win the respect of the world.

My host family lays on a massive breakfast, with two boiled eggs, meats, cheese, yoghurt, four breads, coffee, orange juice - I can't work out why Germans are not build like oil tankers. The family seems to think it is amusing to see me in my Aussie shirt, scarf, hat and now, socks, and I start to wonder whether I look rather ridiculous. What the hell, who cares.

In Munich, I meet up with an old friend, Keith Ward, and we take a walk to the famous English Gardens near the centre of town. In the middle of the park, the river is so strong that it forms a wave, and a large group of surfers is riding the wave. Looks really strange with a backdrop of old German buildings and bridges, and I'll post some photographs later.

For the Brazil game, I am being hosted by Westdeutsche Landesbank (thank you, Michael) in the Prestige Section, so I head out early to the stadium to catch the hospitality. There are a lot more Australians in town today, but we still seem to be outnumbered by that other minor football nation. The Brazilian next to me in a coffee shop says to me, "Today, we are not your friends."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home