Friday, June 04, 2010

South Africa 2010 - Bring it on!

When I opened my World Cup blog again, the first thing I noticed was the date of the last entry: 29 June 2006. My mind immediately went to the John Lennon song, Beautiful Boy, and the line, "Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans." Not that the intervening four years were simply an interlude between the real business of life, the World Cup, but it's suddenly 5 June 2010.

Indeed, in a footballing sense, there was a recent highlight when me and the lads in the Northbridge O45s won our league, with two 'backs-to-the-wall' performances at the end of the season. So before I start focussing on the Messis, Rooneys and Ronaldos, here's a few with their better days behind them.

South Africa 2010 will be even more ambitious than Germany 2006. This time, I have tickets to 11 games, with 14 flights to catch over 30 days. There is bound to be a stuff up somewhere along the line. And Debbie is coming with me for the first couple of weeks. Unlike Germany where I travelled around following the Australian team and staying in a new city every few days, we will be based in Cape Town for the duration and I will fly to each game, and return the same day. For some games, this will require staying awake for at least 24 hours, so there'll be a fair bit of living on adrenalin.

So I'll save this entry to see if all is still working - like me, this blog is four years older, and we've got to pace ourselves.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home